Historical Source: Paris Pages
The Luxembourg Palace was built for Marie de Medicis in the years 1615-1627. The architect Salomon de Brosse, designed it as a Florentine palace because Marie de Medicis liked this style. He was the son of Jean de Brosse, another architect and he inherited the position as the architect of Marie de Medicis from his uncle Jacques II Androuet Du Cerceau. (Other works by Salomon de Brosse include the aqueduct of Arcueil in 1624.)
For the decorations and the embellishments, Rubens paintings adorn the walls of the large gallery and the library has the masterpieces of Eugene Delacroix. The uses of the palace have changed multiple times. For example, it was a prison during the Revolution. It currently houses the Senate.
The gardens of Luxembourg surround the palace. This large park, which has sprawling lawns and abundant flowers, always astonishes its visitors with its harmonious paths, the beauty of its flowers and the shadows under its trees. All the people, young and old, enjoy themselves in the gardens. The children can rent boats and sail in the glassy ponds while the elders play chess under awnings. Moreover, there are many statues of the queens of France, including a figure of Saint Genevieve, the patron of Paris.